San Francisco – Streetcar Renovation RFP
Rail Transit Online – August 2008
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) has issued a request for proposals for overhauling 11 former Newark PCC streetcars. The PCCs had been given a light cosmetic and mechanical renewal when they were purchased several years ago.
According to the Market Street Railway, four were placed in revenue service for a time until wiring problems forced all but one to be sidelined. Muni maintenance staff were unable to permanently repair the problem, which led to a decision to hire an outside contractor to perform a more extensive renovation.
The contract will also include restoration of
No. 1040, the last of 10,000 PCCs cars built in North America, and four non-operational double-ended PCCs owned by Muni since they were new 60 years ago. These cars, along with three others previously refurbished, would provide sufficient rolling stock for the proposed but long-delayed E-Line, which would branch south off Market Street near the Ferry Building and run to the Caltrain terminal at 4th and King streets; double-enders are required because there is no reversing loop or wye at that location.
The Newark cars are scheduled to be completed by March 2010 and the remaining PCCs by the end of February 2011. Responses
to the RFP are due on September 18.
A separate RFP has been issued for a complete overhaul of historic car No. 1, the first trolley purchased by the city for the Geary Street line in 1912. According to the Market Street Railway, an all-volunteer group that helps promote and restore the vintage fleet, the streetcar was returned to its original appearance in 1962 and maintained as needed ever since.
But after experts determined it now needs a complete re-wiring, No. 1 is to undergo total restoration, which will also repair exterior damage caused by exposure to the elements, most of Muni's historic fleet is stored outdoors.