Dallas — Oak Cliff Streetcar Plan Sent to FTA
Rail Transit Online, July 2011
Preliminary details of the proposed downtown to North Oak Cliff streetcar starter line have been sent to the Federal Transit Administration.
The 1.6-mi. (2.6 km) project has only reached the five-percent design stage but several elements have already been decided:
• A loop at its southern end in North Oak Cliff has been eliminated in favor of a
short extension to Colorado Boulevard and Beckley Avenue adjacent to Methodist Hospital;
• Peak headway will be 20 min, with 30-min. intervals at all other times;
• Hours of operation would be from 5
a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays only;
• Tracks would be located in street medians;
• The four stops would be located near Union Station, at Zang Boulevard and Greenbrier Lane, at Zang Boulevard and Oakenwald Street and at Colorado and Beckley.
The streetcar's capital cost is estimated at $38.8 million, $23 million of which would come from federal economic stimulus funds.